Submit Your Multimedia Resume to Casting/Job Notices Online
Back Stage provides a variety of submission options, making it easy to apply to casting/job notices and entertainment-industry projects.
The following article will help you get the most out of the BackStage.com online-application and resume-email system.
For instance, when you submit your multimedia resume and optional cover letter to a project using the BackStage.com online submission system, you should know that your submission package is automatically sent to the casting director via two different methods simultaneously:
1) Your submission package (cover letter and multimedia resume, including all photos/video/links/etc. associated with the resume) is saved to the casting director’s Resume Submissions Inbox on BackStage.com. The resumes and cover letters in this system update IN REAL TIME, which means that if you update anything in your cover letter or multimedia resume – including photos, credits, etc. – after you’ve submitted to the project, the casting director WILL SEE THE MOST UP-TO-DATE version of your materials and not the original version you submitted.
This gives you the ability to tweak/correct your resume and fix typos in your cover letter at anytime, and feel safe knowing that the casting director will see your newest updates (so long as they view your submission after you’ve made your updates).
2) As a backup notification, your complete submission package (the cover letter and multimedia resume, including all photos/etc.) is sent to the project's DIRECT EMAIL ADDRESS as a slick HTML-formatted email. Due to the nature of email, this version of your submission is LOCKED and is not updated in real-time – whatever you submitted originally is what the casting director will see.
HOWEVER, this HTML-email version of your submission also includes a link back to your submission package in the casting director’s Resume Submissions Inbox applicant-manager system on BackStage.com (as described in step 1 above), so if they’re interested in your resume and choose to click back to their Resume Submission system on BackStage.com, then they’ll see your updated resume/cover letter at that time.
PLUS, there are two other great ways to get your Multimedia Resume to casting directors outside of our Apply Now/Submit Online submission system (although we primarily recommend that you just use our online submission system whenever it’s available for a project):
A) Go to your Resume Manager/Editor page and click on the View/Eye button next to your resume. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click the Send/Email button. This will allow you to email your resume (including photos, links, etc.) to ANY EMAIL ADDRESS. For help with this feature, please read this article:
B) Send a regular email to any email address you’d like – and include your shareable, personalized “Promote Your Resume” link in the email, so that the person you’re emailing can click the link to see your multimedia resume page on BackStage.com, even if they don’t have a BackStage.com account! You can also use this URL to link back to your resume from other websites. For help with this feature, please check out this article:
Note: We had to implement a “You cannot submit your resume again because you already submitted to this project” limitation within our online submission system due to complaints from numerous casting directors saying that they were getting too many duplicate submissions.
HOWEVER, if you really feel that it’s critical to resubmit your resume to the casting director, then you could of course use the contact info specified in the text of the casting notice to send an updated submission to the project – most of the casting/job notices on BackStage.com contain an email address, mailing address, website address, or audition location in the text of the casting notice, which you may want to use as a back-up/duplicate submission method for projects when needed.
The two submission methods described above can easily be used with any email addresses you find in Back Stage's casting/job notices.
You may also be interested in these related articles:
- How to use the Online Submission System to Double Your Chances of Getting Cast
- Casting Alert Help / Email Help
- Multimedia Resume System - Tips, Tricks, and Help
- Help uploading, resizing, and updating your photos and headshots on your BackStage.com Multimedia Resume
- Casting Help, Tips, and Tricks for getting the most out of BackStage.com
-- Luke Crowe, National Casting Editor, Back Stage